Doctoral Program in Astrophysics
Doctor in Astrophysics
15/08/2023 - 31/08/2023
The objective of the Doctoral Program in Astrophysics is to train high-level researchers who will make full use of the existing infrastructure for astronomy in Chile.
Benefits of studying at the Institute of Astrophysics at PUC Chile:
- The Institute of Astrophysics of the PUC is one of the leading Astronomy centers in Latin America.
- Active and dynamic international community comprised 16 faculty, ~30 postdocs, and ~50 graduate students.
- Latest frontier research in cosmology, galactic and extragalactic astrophysics, astrochemistry, astronomical instrumentation, high energy astrophysics, and numerical simulations.
- Access to 10% of the time in all telescopes installed in Chile, including APEX, ALMA, Paranal, La Silla, Las Campanas, Cerro Tololo, etc.
- Vibrant scientific environment, including mentorship with world-class faculty members. The program offers various opportunities for scientific interactions, such as weekly seminars and colloquia, daily Journal Club discussions, group meetings, exchange programs with various international institutions, and travel to national and international conferences.
- Doctoral scholarships are guaranteed for the duration of the program, covering living expenses and 100% tuition and fees.
- Financing for research trips, publications, and computers.
- The official language of the Institute is English.
Program accredited by CNA-Chile for seven years until April 2020 (accreditation extended according to Exempt Resolution DJ N°106-4).
The Doctoral Program in Astrophysics objective is to train high-level researchers who will make full use of the existing infrastructure for astronomy in Chile.
A Doctor in Astrophysics will be able to independently carry out original, novel, and relevant research in the general area of astrophysics. It implies a well-developed critical ability, independence of judgment, and a solid self-learner ability. In particular, it will require a solid knowledge base and understanding of physics and its application to astronomical phenomena. It also includes a broad culture in astrophysics and the most relevant problems of this science today and detailed knowledge of a particular area of astrophysics.
Research AreasVer más keyboard_arrow_down
Application RequirementsVer más keyboard_arrow_down
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Astronomy or Physics (or related areas), full-time dedication, and good command of the English and/or Spanish language. Previous research experience, while not a requirement, is considered positive.
Based on these documents, the Postgraduate Committee will prepare a candidate ranking based on the following scale:
Those selected who accept our offer will be contacted to initiate procedures related to health insurance (FONASA, ISAPRE or other), visa for foreign students, etc.
The Institute of Astrophysics and the PUC are committed to offering equal opportunities and diversity in their working community, including religious freedom. Minority applications are especially welcome.
Graduation RequirementsVer más keyboard_arrow_down