Doctoral Program in Arts
Doctor of Philosophy in Arts with a Major in Visual Arts, Music, and Theater Studies and Practice
11/07/2022 - 15/10/2022
The Doctoral Program in Arts of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile is defined as a full-time, third cycle academic program of studies aimed at the development and innovation of knowledge in visual arts, music, and theater, through the training of researchers who seek to broaden the discursive, epistemological, and creative horizon. Its mission is to contribute to strengthening research and creation in the arts, especially in Chile and Latin America, forming advanced human capital that contributes to the development of the knowledge society.
The general objective of the Doctoral Program in Arts of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile is the development and innovation of knowledge in the performing, visual and musical arts through the formation of advanced human capital that contributes from art and culture to the development of the knowledge society.
1.- To train researchers in the arts at an advanced level, who from the theoretical or artistic theory and practice are qualified to produce original, independent, and relevant research in the various fields of development of the arts and to participate in the analysis, study and debate of artistic phenomena from a solidly informed and specialized approach that implies a contribution to society.
2.- To strengthen research and creation in the arts, contributing new knowledge and advanced research methodologies to the field of artistic disciplines.
3.- To train researchers in the arts who can meet the needs of research, creation, and postgraduate teaching in the context of a knowledge society.
The UC Doctoral Program in Arts graduates should be researchers who:
- Autonomously generate significant new knowledge for the disciplinary field they work in, either from theory or artistic theory and practice.
- Apply and build updated theoretical models on the main debates of their discipline.
- Discern which theoretical model, technique, or artistic procedure to use according to the nature of the object of study.
- To be part of research teams and national and international research networks in the field of the arts.
- Elaborate and put into action various discursive genres and/or artistic procedures to disseminate the results of their research.
- Evaluate and act by the principles and ethical values of research and creation in the arts.
Graduation RequirementsVer más keyboard_arrow_down
(*) The conditions and characteristics of these activities may vary according to the curriculum of each doctoral program. For more information, we recommend that you consult with your program director.